The next couple sessions of going to Rock Island high school
were a little more personal. The students started waving to us and asking our
names and started talking to use more before we went down to the library to
have a more personal one on one session with some of the students. We had the
same two girls come with us every time. We went down to the library just like we always do, but this session was
different. For the first time, we focused more on each other than on the
homework and tasks that were to be done. The girls asked us how old we were,
about college, if we had boyfriend, where we were from and we even showed them
some pictures. We asked them more personal questions as well just to get to
know them. I could tell that Kait and I were more careful with the sorts of
questions we asked them. We did not want to ask a question that might offend
them. Learning they were from Africa gave us some sort of cultural background
on who they were. I believe that since we took this class Kait and I were more respectful
and knowledgeable about their culture and how to communicate with them as well
as not to over step our boundaries by asking certain questions.
Both Kait and I as well as the girls practiced one
of the many information seeking styles. We practiced the interactive strategy. This
strategy means that we communicate directly with that person we are trying to
get information from. Since we were all asking questions to each other we were
using this interactive style while also in a group setting. We directly asked
that specific person certain questions to get to know the other person better.
We could have gone a different way like asking Mrs. Kanter some questions about
them which would have been a different information seeking strategy called an
active strategy. We chose to do the interactive way because we felt it was more
personal and it would help in our sessions and interactions with the girls.
In the future I believe I will practice this same sort of communication
strategy. They had no problem with us asking questions, I actually think they
enjoyed that we were truly interested in what they had to say, and I think they
enjoyed telling us stories. They were very open and receptive to this style of
communication and information seeking strategy. I believe that we will continue
to talk in this way until the ends of our sessions. This session really took a
big step in our relationships with the girls. It went from a more
teacher-student relationship to a friendship.
No comments:
Post a Comment