Friday, November 8, 2013

Blog 5: The End

     The final blog saddens me because it reminds me that this is the end of my experience with the kids at Rock Island High School. It was an experience I will never forget and I don’t want it to end. I am so happy that I chose to take this class, because if I didn't I would never have had the opportunity to meet this amazing kids. There is something so special about these kids, and that’s that they are from many different places and are refugees. This fact only enriched my experience and created and intercultural element to my experience. Reviewing the sessions I had with the kids there were a few themes that came to mind

One theme I noticed was perception. I had my assumptions about what I thought the school and kids would be like. I did not think the experience would be as rewarding and amazing as it was. I believe that the kids also had their perceptions of how we would be and what the experience would be like. I was very wrong in my perceptions; I did not think the kids would be as open as they were. I also did not think they would like learning as much as they did and I didn't think they would respect me, but they did. It was an amazing experience and I am honestly sad that it is over. I wish I could keep going.

     Another theme is social exchange theory. Both the kids and I are getting something out of our relationship. If the relationship weren't beneficial I would not be upset that it is over and I would not want to keep going. The kids are gaining knowledge while having a fun intercultural experience from someone who is not their teacher, which makes the setting more comfortable and relaxed.  

     Through this experience I have learned not to believe my perceptions. I did not know much about what this experience would entail and that caused me to have incorrect perceptions. My perceptions affected my actions and emotions. I was very nervous and shy the first couple sessions because I did not know what to expect. I have learned that I need to become more knowledgeable in order to make my own judgments and perceptions.This experience has also strengthened my belief that relationship are operated and maintained by the social exchange theory. With any sort of relationship you want it to be beneficial. You don’t stay in a relationship if you aren't benefiting from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment